Authorization: Board of Governors
Approval Date: Jun 24, 2005
Amended: Mar 29, 2016
This Policy sets out the proper and appropriate use of the University Seal and provides for its protection in a safe and secure place.
CUSTODY AND USE OF THE UNIVERSITY SEAL
The University Secretary or delegate shall be the keeper of the University Seal. The University Secretary shall authorize any creation and placement of any duplicate seal(s) and shall oversee the use of such duplicate seal(s) in accordance with the requirements of this policy.
The University Seal shall be kept in a locked and secure place. The University Seal shall be made available for use in a secure location that allows vigilant oversight.
The University Seal may be affixed by the University Secretary, or other delegate authorized to sign contracts on behalf of the university pursuant to the Signing Authority Policy to sign documents on behalf of the University, or by an agent or employee of the university carrying out his/her assigned duties.
A. ACADEMIC USES OF THE SEAL
The University Seal shall be affixed to the following academic documents:
1. Undergraduate, Graduate and Earned Doctoral Degree parchments providing evidence of a Degree conferred by the University, signed by the Chancellor, President, Secretary and Dean.
2. Certificates providing evidence of an honorary degree conferred, signed by the Chancellor, President and Secretary.
3. Diplomas and certificates approved by the university and signed by the President, Secretary and Dean
4. Certification of Degree, Diploma, or Certificate
5. Official greetings forwarded by the university and signed by the Chancellor and President.
6. Such other documents as may be designated in writing by the Secretary
B. USE OF THE SEAL ON UNIVERSITY CONTRACTS
Section 98 of The University of Saskatchewan Act, 1995 provides as follows:
98 (1) All transfers, mortgages and other instruments or documents to which the university is a party are deemed to be properly executive by the university if the corporate name of the university is immediately followed on the same page by:
(a) the official signatures of:
(i) the secretary; and
(ii) the chairperson of the board or the vice-chairperson; or
(b) the official signatures of any two officers of the university designated by the board for the purpose.
(2) An instrument or other document executed on behalf of the university in accordance with subsection (1) is not invalid merely because the corporate seal of the university is not affixed to it.
The University Seal shall be affixed to all contracts requiring approval of the Board of Governors as set out in the university's Signing Authority Policy.C. REPORTING OF SEALED DOCUMENTS
The University Secretary or delegate shall maintain a record of all documents to which the University Seal is affixed.
Contact Person: University Secretary